Saturday

Metric Century

Last fall after the TOF Brothers annual Nelson County Tour, I was looking at the Charlottesville Bike Club's website and became intrigued with the Tour de Louisa ride. So one day last winter, on a trip to Charlottesville, I detoured and checked out the route. It is a beautiful route through the piedmont between Louisa Courthouse and Lake Anna. I concluded that the 66 mile route would be a good one for a 2012 Metric Century.

Lake Anna
Two weeks ago I proposed riding the metric century to the TOF Brothers and they quickly committed. I told them there was an opt out at 42 miles for a 50 miler if needed. Subsequent emails staunchly rejected the idea of an opt out, so when we headed up Route 29 last Wednesday, I knew we were riding 66 miles. It was a beautiful, crisp fall day, perfect for riding with temperatures in the sixties.

We began the ride at 10:00 a.m. at the old Louisa Courthouse, rode east along the western boundaries of Lake Anna and put in 34 miles by lunch. Heading back to Louisa, one could feel we were heading back upstream, but the hills were gradual and there were still long stretches where we could roll. Stopping at 42 miles, I gave the Brothers the choice to opt for the 50 miler, but they would hear nothing of that sort. Stopping at 62 miles, I told them I had reached my goal of riding a metric century, would they get the car and pick me up? But they would hear nothing of that sort! So after 5 hours and 7 minutes of riding we found ourselves back at the old Louisa Courthouse, feeling rather buff and proud of our accomplishment. For me, it was the first metric century I have ridden in over 20 years! Retirement is great!

Still standing and smiling at the end!
P.S. Gary and David are yearning for still more mileage in one ride this season, so later this month, they have signed up to do an English century ( 100 miles ) on the Eastern Shore. Good luck and God's speed boys!

No comments:

Post a Comment